I’m in love!!! this is the best synth I’ve ever used in my life. It really is.
The OB-E – An Octaphonic Sonic Adventure
- The OB-E is our take on the legendary 8-Voice. More than just an emulation, the OB-E offers a unique musical experience. Sounding HUGE, it takes the iconic Synthesizer Expander Module (SEM®) based 8-Voice (a.k.a the EVS) into new sonic territory via a raft of enhancements and additions.
- The concept of the 8-Voice is actually very simple; based around a single SEM containing two VCOs with Pulse and Sawtooth waveforms, two ADS Envelope Generators, one LFO, and a magical Multi-Mode Filter. In isolation each SEM is monophonic, but in the 8-Voice, because there are eight SEMs triggered by a polyphonic keyboard, you have a superb eight note polyphonic synthesizer.
- While simple at heart, the OB-E is, to our knowledge, the first virtual instrument with complete per-voice control. This unique Octaphonic architecture offers fresh and exciting creative possibilities to music producers, composers and sound designers for the first time in the digital realm.
600 factory Patches saved in various categories and with tags.
The MODULE - FRONT
The core building block of the OB-E is the SEM. Each SEM has 3 Oscillators, a Multimode Filter, 2 Envelopes and modulation controls.
The MODULE - REAR
Each SEM has both front and rear panels. The rear of each allows us to extend the range of functions programmable in each SEM.
The OB-E groups SEMs 1-4 into the LOWER MODULE mixer and SEMs 5-8 into the UPPER MODULE mixer. Individual volume and pan for each SEM can be set here along with a MASTER control for each group.
ZOOM a SEM to enlarge the interface for detailed editing. ZOOM places the front and rear of the selected SEM side by side within OB-E.
An Augmented yet Authentic Instrument
- We’ve painstakingly emulated every section of the synth to ensure sonic authenticity while adding the convenience of software control over those eight SEMs. Mono, Mono Legato, Poly, Unison and Split keyboard modes are all available. Add to this the new VCO3, doubling as an audio rate LFO for each SEM, and a stack of additional performance controls via velocity, polyphonic after-touch and MPE control then you’ll begin to understand the depth of musical possibilities OB-E provides.
ZOOM and GROUP PROVIDE FASTER EDITING
- Programming a polyphonic sound on an original 8-Voice was a daunting mission, the OB-E makes it a cinch. Unison Chords a forté. To overcome the arduous task of editing 8 individual SEMs, the OB-E provides a number of clearly thought out editing controls such as ZOOM which enlarges the selected SEM placing front and rear panels side by side, GROUP (shown above) which enables a SEM parameter change to be applied to all SEMs at once, and OFFSET which functions as GROUP but retains the relative values of each parameter. There’s also a fully resizable user interface. OB-E saves all settings within a Patch but also allows the settings of an individual SEM to be saved as a SEM Preset.
Via the little yellow triangle in the top left hand corner of the UI,
the OB-E allows you to scale the size of the user interface for both reduction and enlargement.
The OB-E offers a range of Global Controls including the all important GROUP edit mode. When GROUP is selected, the parameters knobs of OB-E glow green indicating that editing one parameter on any SEM is mirrored across all SEMs.
The OB-E plays in multiple keyboard modes including mono, polyphonic & unison. The keyboard can be ‘split’ with notes lower than the split playing SEMs 1-4 and above the split SEMs 5-8. Additionally, SEM 8 can be allocated to the SEQUENCER giving 3-way playback possibilities within a single Patch.
The OB-E SEQUENCER contains an extensive range of controls and functions. It triggers either monophonically or each SEM sequentially.
The OB-E analogue style delay that can be routed to the UPPER MODULE, LOWER MODULE or both.
Creative Sequencer & Stereo Delay
- And that’s not all! With the original MS-1 sequencer as a starting reference point, we’ve added an extremely comprehensive and creative 8-step Sequencer providing a flexibility and fun-factor unavailable via the original hardware. In keyboard Split mode with the Sequencer routed to SEM 8, the OB-E provides the ability to create a complete three part soundscape within a single Patch. An all-new routable Stereo Delay provides sonically complimentary effects.
- Finally, we’ve complemented our instrument with 600+ factory Patches designed by Dave Spiers and a roster of brilliant sound designers. Even better, each Patch has been tagged, categorised and is quickly accessible from the OB-E’s librarian (arrow navigation friendly).
A demo track featuring the OB-E for all musical parts and Stylus RMX for the drums.
All the OB-E.
All parts the OB-E.
All the OB-E.
The OB-E’s “CS Evocation” patch in isolation.
A short demo featuring multiple instances of the OB-E and using Hex Drum for the very 80’s drum parts.
A single OB-E Patch which makes use of the Sequencer and the Split features.
A demo track featuring the OB-E for the musical parts and Stylus RMX for the drums.
Developed for Mac. Big-Sur compatible
The OB-E is a virtual instrument in the following formats:
- Standalone Application
The Minimum System Requirements are as follows:
- Intel or M1 Mac
- macOS 10.11.x or above
- 30MB of disk space
- Unique 8-Voice Octaphonic architecture
- An authentic sounding emulation of the Oberheim® 8-Voice
- Zero delay feedback filters
- 600 factory Patches designed to fit in a mix, all tagged and categorised
- Librarian for easy access to the Patches (Arrow Keys Navigation)
- Continuous, round-robin mode where each note uses a new voice
- ZOOM enlarges an individual SEM filling the UI with front and rear panels side by side
- Group mode to edit all Modules at once
- Individual SEM Copy, Paste and Save
- LFO, 3rd VCO doubling as a second LFO
- Multiple triggering modes; Polyphonic, Monophonic, Mono Legato, & Unison
- Fully featured analogues style MIDI Sequencer & Stereo Delay
- Upper/Lower sections can be Split across the keyboard
- Extensive Velocity & Aftertouch modulation
- Polyphonic aftertouch and MPE ready
The OB-E Demo version
The trial version of the OB-E is an ideal way to test the instrument on your system before purchase. Free to download via the link below.
Dubby OB-E - A Tutorial & Demo
Synth Expander Module Controls
The Onboard Delay
The Original Instrument
All third party product names used in this product are trademarks of their respective owners and are in no way associated or affiliated with GForce Software Ltd. These trademarks of other manufacturers are used solely to identify the products of those manufacturers whose tones and sounds were studied during development of this product. SEM and Oberheim are Registered Trademarks of Tom Oberheim.