July 5, 2010
by GForce Software
Some interesting Odyssey oddities!
Odyssey Advert 1980
A UK music store advert showing a MkIII Odyssey with PPC and proclaiming that none other than ‘Chick Cores’ uses this instrument The discounted ‘direct import’ price of £749 would be the equivalent of £2000 today. Depending on the Model Odyssey, if you were lucky enough to find a good one, be prepared to pay anything up to £1200.
Original Odyssey Patches
The Oddity contains many of the classic Odyssey Patches that feature in both the Odyssey Manual and the fascinating book Learning Music With Synthesizers co-written by ARP Founders Alan R Pearlman and David Friend.
- Herbie Hancock: Chameleon & Ready or Not
- John Foxx: Metamatic
- Jean Michel Jarre: Oxygene
- Gary Numan: Music for Chameleons
- Klaus Schultze: Picture Music
- Kraftwerk: Autobahn
- Ultravox: Vienna
- George Duke & Chick Corea: misc solos
- Tangerine Dream: Atem
- Manfred Mann’s Earth Band: Blinded By The Light
- BBC Radiophonic Workshop: Dr Who Theme Tune
- ELO: Out Of The Blue
- Joe Walsh: Life’s Been Good
- The Human League: Love Action
- REM: Undertow & Leave
- Ohio Players: Gold
- The Sweet: Fox On The Run
- Elton John: Rocket Man & Funeral For A Friend
- Conny Plank (Can, Eno & David Bowie)
- Adrian Utley (Portishead)
Odyssey Oddity Receipt
Our Odyssey receipt from 1977. The total price of this instrument was $1440 inc discount and was bought from Ed Schaeffer – The Music Man Colorado. By comparison, the Oddity is a killer deal with a retail price of around 10% of the original.